Monday, June 20, 2011

The Proposal

So, a lot of you know this story.. but in case you don't, I'll write in on here so in case someone EVER asks again, I will just redirect them to my blog. That way I don't ever have to tell the long story again ;)
On Wednesday March 23th, 2011, Nathan Griffith informed me that he was going camping with his friends that weekend. I, being the very needy girlfriend, was a little upset at this news... I hated being without him! Especially a whole weekend. PLUS, it had JUST snowed.. so it made absolutely no sense that he would want to go camping. He said that he and his friends would stay in his friend's cabin up in Ogden Canyon, which I didn't even know existed. Anyway, so I threw my little hissy fit but finally agreed to just let him go. He promised he would make it up to me. So that Friday evening I spend bored at home, waiting for Nate to come home to next evening. My mom told me that night that we should go dress shopping the next morning at 10 AM. (Yes, I knew he would be proposing soon; no, I had no idea it would be now). At about 4 in the morning, I received a text from Nate saying that the heater was broken at the cabin and they were coming home. I read it the next morning, and texted him back - no answer. I got all ready to go dress shopping, and at 9:50 AM Nate shows up at my door telling me he wants to take me to breakfast. I'm like "ummm, ok.. well my mom and I are going dress shopping so.. I'm not sure if I can?" He stays calm and just says to go ask her, he was sure she would understand (my mother was of course in on the whole thing). I go into my mom's room and tell her the plan, and she looks all disappointed, making me feel terrible. She finally insisted that I go, so I left feeling so bad I had ditched our plans!
We went to breakfast at IHOP, and shared some chocolate chip pancakes. The whole time he was acting a little weird.. so naturally I asked him if he was ok. He said he was just really tired, (he HAD been up all night after all... not). So then he suggested we go back to my house, watch a movie and fall asleep. I agreed, and we left and went to my house. When we got home, my whole family, including a few friends, were in the kitchen eating bagels. We started talking to them but Nate kept nudging me to go downstairs.. I was wondering why he wouldn't just be social for a minute! I went downstairs with him and sat on the couch, he went over to put in a movie and asked what I wanted to watch. I replied that I didn't care, so he pulled something from the top of the shelf and put it in. I didn't really think anything of it, I was a little tired too. He came and sat by me, and up popped a menu screen of a picture of us, titled Nate and Haley. He pushed play, and all these pictures of us and cute quotes came up and our songs Bless the Broken Road and All My Life played. I, stupidly, still didn't suspect that he was proposing. I just thought he was "making it up to me", as he had previously promised. I kept saying, "Babe, what is this?" He just smiled and watched the movie. The last slide was a photo of him on one knee.. holding a stapler (which was supposed to represent the ring.. haha). I, shocked, looked over at him and there he was, on one knee holding the ring of my dreams. I immediately started bawling and I think he shed a little tear or two ;) He asked me if I would marry him and I responded with a yes, of course. We hugged for a minute and then came out of the tv room to a happy family with cheers and cameras. One of the best moments of my life :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! I can't believe the cobbler night was THE night. I remember that vividly :) And your proposal story is adorable, (GO NATE!!!) your dress is gorgeous, and I'm in love with your boots :)Thanks for sharing. Congrats girlie, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete